Sunday, November 2, 2008
Still More JP Business Men - 1888
In the early 1870s, David Keezer built a house on Alveston street, which still stands today. He also bought the land that now makes up the Greenough place cul-de-sac and divided it into the present-day lots. He has already been featured on this site in a rather gruesome entry here.
D.Keezer, Provision Market, Woolsey Block, corner Green street, Opposite Depot, Jamaica Plain. One of the oldest established provision markets in this community is that conducted by Mr.D. Keezer, who now conducts business at the corner of Green street, (Woolsey Block) Jamaica Plain. Mr. Keezer has been in business for twenty-nine years and was formerly located on Centre street, and has occupied his present location since 1883. We can pay Mr. Keezer no higher compliment than to say that during the twenty-nine years his enterprise has been before the public, it has never been more skillfully managed and more truly popular than at present. Mr. Keezer's guiding principle seems to be, that people shall have what they pay for, and such of our readers as have had any experience in marketing, need not be told that this of itself would ensure the success of his enterprise, provided it is scrupulously carried out. Mr. Keezer strives as far as possible to make all customers permanent ones, by making it evident that fair treatment is assured to all. Employment is given to three reliable and experienced assistants. These premises comprise a store with a frontage of twenty-three feet and a depth of 45 feet, where will always be found a heavy stock of meats, vegetables and fruit, together with poultry and game in their measure. His prices are very moderate and all orders are promptly filled.
Richards, L.J. 1899 - David Rumsey Collection
Lorenz Ernst had his Lamartine street bakery directly opposite to the outbound train depot at Boylston station, very near today's Stony Brook Orange Line station.
L. Ernst, Bread, Cake and Pastry Baker, and dealer in French and American Confectionery, 175 Lamartine Street and 124 Green Street, Jamaica Plain. On account of the localities in which his establishments are situated, it is obvious that Mr. L. Ernst, of Jamaica Plain, must handle only choice and desirable products or otherwise his enterprise would meet with but meagre encouragement, instead of the liberal and rapidly increasing patronage it actually receives. This gentleman founded his present business in 1881, and having not only a thorough knowledge of the baker's trade in general, but also a keen appreciation of the probable demands of the class to which he prepared to cater in particular, it is not surprising that the result has been the building up of a very extensive business. The premises utilized comprise two stores each covering an area of 20 x 30 feet; one located at 175 Lamartine street and the other at 123 Green street, and employment is afforded to five men and three girls. Bread, cake and pastry are always to be had at these establishments, fresh, appetising and carefully made, and in addition to the above-mentioned products Mr. Ernst deals in French and American confectionery. He pays the strictest attention to the selection of the many materials to be called upon to use in the conduct of his business, and rejects all that is not fully up to the high standard he has established for his guidance. Customers may feel sure that the reputation already gained for uniformity and superiority of manufacture will be rightly sustained. Mr. Ernst is a native of Germany and is very popular in his line of trade, and what is more, fully deserves the popularity he has attained.