Monday, October 10, 2011

Lucrecia Crocker School

Lucretia Crocker school (City of Boston Archive Flickr photo group).



Crocker school, Bickford street, 1895.



Once more, I have to add a school that I've long had in mind. This time, I must confess the failure was one of memory, rather than material. The school sat between Bickford and Parker streets, and under the shadow of the Plant shoe factory. The Crocker opened as a primary school, consisting of grades 1-3.

The eponymous Lucretia Crocker deserves more attention than I can do justice to here. She was very active in education, with a particular interest in the sciences, and was one of the first women to be elected as a Supervisor of the Boston Public School system. For more about here, please go here.

4 comments:

  1. i attended the Lucretia Crocker school in 1948 and want to thank you for including this photo which I plan to use in my blog Thecrankycopywriter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also attended the Lucretia Crocker School in 1949 as a first grader. You've brought back some memories. GlS 1959

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first school, grades K-3, was the Lucretia Crocker School between Bickford Street and Parker Streets. I lived on Bickford Street and started kindergarten in 1941 only months before the U.S. entered The War. Lucretia Crocker was honored with the school name after becoming the
    FIRST female Supervisor of the "Boston Public Schools" (as printed in gold letters on each of the two dark green pencils without attached erasers, could be sharpened at either end, received at the start of each school year). The school started with Kindergarten, not first grade. My Kindergarten teacher was Miss Toomey (maybe Twomey). Happy, pretty, with dark hair and engaged to be married which meant she would not return the following year. Until 1952 or early 1953, female teachers in Suffolk could not hold tenure if married, meaning they could only work as on-call substitutes. My first grade teacher was Miss Smith, a plump white-haired sweetheart who loved children and sometimes held one on her lap. Second grade was the miserable Miss Merz. I cannot remember my third grade teacher. Can anyone remember the third grade teacher names?
    Claire Morland, age 77.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended this school for K and 1st grade. Then on to the Lowell School on Center St. Somewhere in there I too had Miss Merz.

    ReplyDelete