You know that Rev Ellis Mendell was highly respected in the neighborhood of Boylston station - they got the city to name a school after him.
Boston Daily Globe May 23, 1903
He Had Many Friends
Funeral Services for Rev Ellis Mendell at Boylston Station.
The funeral services fo Rev Ellis Mendell, for 15 years pastor of the Boylston Congregational church, corner of Boylston and Amory sts, Boylston Station, were held yesterday afternoon at the church over which he had so long presided. The church was crowded.
The floral tributes covered the platform, and the pulpit was draped with black. The services were conducted by Rev A.H. Plumb, pastor of the Walnut-av congregational church, Roxbury, assisted by Rev Charles L. Morgan, pastor of the Central Congregational church, Jamaica Plain; Rev William B. Campbell, pastor of the Highland church, and Rev Dr Bushnell, a college classmate of Mr Mendell's. Previous to the church service, prayers were conducted at the house, 38 Atherton st, Egleston Square, by Dr Noble of Chicago.
The services were simple. There were Scripture reading, prayer, a short eulogy by Rev Dr Plumb and a musical selection "The Holy City," by Mrs Morrell of the Norwood Congregational church.
The honorary pallbearers were George W. Fowle, Issac Stone, S.R. Crocker and Charles Dellitt and the actual bearers were Messrs W.S. Archibald, W.W. Baker, William Gunn, Charles Shope, William Mock and William Maiers.
The body was taken to New Bedford for burial.
As a mark of respect for Mr Mendel all the stores in the vicinity closed their doors, and no business was done during the funeral services from 2 o'clock until 3:30.